It's all about the timing!
Which is why I schedule this last one, also after a Spring Craft Show, but before Mother's Day & end of the school year!
Hooray for end of the school year!
So what are the benefits of an Open House & how do you prepare for it!
Let's begin with the benefits.
* No table fees
* No early rise & shine times
* Schedule it around your schedule
* Sell extra inventory (therefore, you don't need to sew your brains out making more!)
* It's in your home
* Customers can see where you spend a lot of your time
* No postage or packaging
* Relax & Mingle
How do you prepare for an Open House.
* Set the date close to a holiday such as Christmas or Mother's Day. This will draw the crowds in that like a handmade gift.
* I set up mine in my basement, right outside my shop doors. I am not moving my products very far at all.
* Price everything, either individually or place signage by the products. No matter how well you price your items, people will ask, "How much is this?" At my last show I priced items individually & that was a waste of time & pricing cards. I like signage better, such as small chalkboards.
* Have a few snack foods out.
* Set up an event on Facebook about 3-4 weeks in advance. This is a great place for you to communicate with the invitees & post pictures & upcoming deals.
* Set up sales or bundles deals.
* Offer a discount if they bring a friend (& give the friend the same discount)!
* Accept Credit & Debit thru Square or something similar
* Have change on hand
I do well at the Christmas Craft Show every year! I have a sweet friend that runs my table while I assist the other crafters. But I have done even better at my Open Houses too.
I have participated in shows where the tables are +$100. That's a large chunk of my change. But I make it back & then some, but wouldn't it be nice not to have to recoup that hard earned cash?
I strive really hard to get my products out there with minimal fees involved. Facebook has been good to me, that's how this whole thing started! I am available on Etsy (goal for 2013 was to give it another chance & focus on it more)! I am in Breads & Threads in Lake Orion. I am also in The Eyrie.
I submit articles to magazines. I participate in Giveaways on other Blogs.
All that to say, there are ways to get out there without paying large fees to do so.
And having an Open House, in the comfort of your home, inviting others in is the perfect way to do it & it's FREE!
(I am cautious about inviting strangers from my Facebook Fan Page. I will post on there that they are invited & if they would like to come to message me & I will give them directions if I feel comfortable doing so.)