But I did teach my self to sew, it was a relaxing hobby at the end of a "stay at home Mom" kind of day.
And people really buy the things I sew + I appreciate it so much + I am so thankful for them all.
I often pray over the things I am sewing + the people that I am sewing them for, whether I know them by name or not! I would often pray about where this whole lil' alice thing was going to go + I still pray that prayer + I am still amazed that God listens to my crazy questions. He, of course, answers them in His timing + in His big amazing ways.
I get emails from people that I know + people that I don't know asking if I could teach them how to sew. I quickly brushed it off + responded with a quick, "No!" After several emails, I started questioning God if this was the next step + if it was then He needed to clearly show me that it was!
I hash it over with friends + tell them to be on the look out for sewing machines at garage sales or good will. I'm clearly taking control of the situation + I'm coming up on a machine shortage.
(fast forward to a few weeks ago)
I was going thru FB + I saw a repost for an online auction at a local school close by. It was closed, being used by the district for storage. I glanced thru the listings + the last 2 listings were for 8 sewing machines per lot. It was a vague description & it looked like the brand was Scholastic. My Mom started bidding for me because I was off to taxi service for the kids+ I had no way of doing it. I gave her my max bid, she went over but I have forgiven her. We won the bid. The next day we picked them up + the guy said take 16. I said, well the paper said 8 (I am a rule follower) + his paper said 16. So after much laughter, giddiness + panic, we loaded up all 16 + off we went.
God answered my questionable prayer in a bigger way than I ever did dream!
My goal for 2014 is to teach sewing classes. Here's what I know.
4-5 people per class in my basement.
4 week course (1 day per week)
Teaching basic skills + making projects
- It's true I don't need 16 sewing machines. My Mom gets one as her parting gift!
- I have gone thru each machine individually + cleaned it out, taken screws off the bottom plate + washed it + fetched out every needle + straight pin possible!
- I am keeping 5 machines for classes.
- I have 2 that are frozen + I used for various small parts to put on another machine.
- I took one to my usual sewing repair man. He tuned it + fixed it + when I picked it up, he told me it was a gem + that these are really good machines. There are some plastic pieces on it, but a lot of metal parts too. In comparison to machines that are sold now, they are all plastic parts! They are considered disposable.
- The one in the picture is For Sale! It is the one that was professionally tuned + cleaned + fixed! She's a gem!
- I have the manual on PDF file + each buyer will get an emailed copy plus 3 bobbins.
I am selling 7, as is, they run, they are oiled + they have all the pieces. With a tune up (under $100), it will sew like a champ! $50 each (plus shipping or local pick up) If interested, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org